Monday, July 20, 2015

Red Queen ~ Victoria Aveyard


Mare Barrow's world is divided by blood -- those with red and those with silver. Mare and her family are lowly Reds, destined to serve the Silver elite whose supernatural abilities make them nearly gods. Mare steals what she can to help her family survive, but when her best friend is conscripted into the army she gambles everything to win his freedom. A twist of fate leads her to the royal palace itself, where, in front of the king and all his nobles, she discovers a power of her own - an ability she didn't know she had. Except ...  her blood is Red. 
To hide this impossibility, the king forces her into the role of a lost Silver princess and betroths her to one of his own sons. As Mare is drawn further into the Silver World, she risks her new position to aid the Scarlet Guard -  the leaders of the Red rebellion. Her actions put into motion a deadly and violent dance, pitting prince against prince - and Mare against her own heart.  

*Minor Spoilers*
Why did no one tell me that I was going to become addicted to this story!? Why did no one warn me that I am going to have to wait until 2016 for the sequel?! And why do I get so attached to fictional worlds inhabited by fictional characters living fictional lives!?

So I believe that I have said this before, but fantasy hasn't been one of my favorite genres in a long time. I used to be obsessed with it.I have an entire shelf in my room dedicated to it; contains the first two books of the Beautiful Creatures series, the last three of the Vampire Academy series, all of the Bloodlines series, two of the Morganville Vampires series, many of the House of Night series, and all of the Twilight series.  And I obviously love the Harry Potter series, I mean come on, it's my entire childhood. But as of late, I have been more into memoirs, like American Sniper by Chris Kyle, A Work in Progress by Connor Franta, and I'm ordering some more off of amazon; so when I actually became immersed in Red Queen, I was completely shocked.

The characters in this novel are beautifully portrayed. I love Mare, a.k.a Lady Mareena Titanos, lost Silver Princess, *cough, cough* she is just the start to the equality that I hope builds after some much needed rebellion and discovery. I originally loved Prince Maven, whom Mareena is betrothed too, but that drastically changes in the end. But Prince Cal, from the very beginning, even during his torturous stages, I loved him. 

Aveyard's writing throughout the entire novel made you empathize with the characters even though our world is drastically different than theirs.  She kept the story fast paced and you never could really predict what was going to happen or how it was all going to go down. I also loved the setting of the novel, with all of the Red villages it almost reminded me of Panem from the Hunger Games trilogy. This is just beautifully written, the cover is gorgeously morbid. I'm just obsessed!

Pages: 383                                                                             Rate: 5/5 


No comments:

Post a Comment