Monday, March 19, 2018

Our Revolution: A Future To Believe In ~ Bernie Sanders


Throughout the Presidential campaign, Bernie Sanders galvanized voters with his progressive platform and vision for America. In the book, Sanders shares experiences from the campaign trail and outlines his ideas for continuing a political revolution to fight for a progressive economic, environmental, racial and social justice agenda that creates jobs, raises wages, protects the environment and provides health care for all.

Book Review:
I decided to pick up this audiobook knowing that I would agree with much of what was being said politically. During the 2016 Presidential Campaign, I was an avid supporter of Bernie. I agreed with the majority of his policies. I believe that he truly cares about the growth of the middle class and not the protection of the 1%. I also knew that he would make it his mission to protect the planet, lower the United States's carbon footprint, etc; all things that I believe to be important. However, what I did not pay much attention to during the campaign was how he developed these ideas. How these important issues became his values. 

I was pleased that he was narrating the book himself. For me, that always makes the audiobook much more interesting. It doesn't sound as though someone is just reading off of the page. You can actually sense the emotion of what he is saying. I was also pleased that Mark Ruffalo would be doing some of the reading himself. Ruffalo is another avid supporter of Bernie and of his ideas, so I knew that he would also be able to portray the emotion of the words. Both of their voices were really soothing and passionate. 

Learning more about Bernie's childhood was important. It developed his family values and demonstrated how he developed his ideas. It was also really interesting to learn about his early political career as that is something that I also did not pay much attention to during the campaign. I feel that those parts of his life really helped me understand his ideas and why he had such values that he was passionate about during the campaign. I won't be specific because I feel that that takes away much of the value of listening to or physically reading the book, which I avidly recommend. 

Pages: 464                                                                                                                                             Rate:5/5

Favorite Quote:

“This campaign was never just about electing a president of the United States—as enormously important as that was. This campaign was about transforming America. It was about the understanding that real change never takes place from the top on down. It always takes place from the bottom on up. It takes place when ordinary people, by the millions, are prepared to stand up and fight for justice."

No comments:

Post a Comment