Friday, December 29, 2017

Movie Review: The Greatest Showman


First movie review on my blog, I think. Going to see this movie was my Christmas present from my best friend. We always go see movies together and the last time we went, the trailer for this one came up. I was beyond excited. One, Hugh Jackman. Two, Zac Efron. Three, Zendaya. 
Four, Circus.

We heard some mixed ideas about it. Some said that it wasn't historically accurate. That Barnum wasn't enough of a douchebag. Others were angery at the weak plot. The rest, raved about the incredible music. Well, going into this movie, I didn't care about the historical inaccuracies or even the weak plot as long as the music was good and the movie made me feel something great. Well, it did that. 



The music was obviously incredible and I think much of what I felt came from the music itself. "This Is Me," being sung by Keala Settle who is a powerhouse in herself, but the emotion on her face, in her voice, and in how she led the others was incredible. This was the point where she and the others decided not to care how they looked, not to care about their pasts, not to care what others thought of them anymore!

Another one of my favorite songs was the duet between Zac Efron and Zendaya's characters. The entire scene was gorgeous, so visually stimulating. It starts due to their fears of a relationship between a white boy and black girl. That's obvious from the minute they meet. This song develops their fears and their wants. The actors that play on those fears and those wants do it so well, that I felt their pain.  Zendaya is a strong badass flying all over the place whilst singing beautifully. Zac is just trying to get the girl, even jumping off of a balcony and onto the trapeze with her, all while singing. By the way, this is the first time that I have really heard him sing since High School Musical, and I am loving it. 

Beyond the music, I just loved that it told the story of a man bringing together so many outcasts. This part may be inaccurate historically, but in this movie, Barnum finds all of the outcasts, all of the people who couldn't live their lives out in the open without being laughed at or hated. He made them a family and created the circus, their home.

The movie was worth seeing. Especially if you love great musicals. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Angel. Wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered NEW YEAR. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in reviewing books. The above mentioned books which you have reviewed seem to worth reading. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 38 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete